There will be an informational meeting Saturday, February 9th at 10:30 am to discuss gallery mission, goals and logistics! Please bring your artist statements to help us get to know you better!
Send your applications to
PO Box 1882 Tucson, AZ 85702
Forming a New Artist run Gallery
Request for Applications
WAMO, a 501c3 non-profit whose Mission is to support artists and art spaces in The Tucson Historic Warehouse Arts District, will support the founding of a new, cooperatively run exhibition space to be located in the space formerly occupied by Conrad Wilde Gallery in the Steinfeld Warehouse Community Art Center. The building is owned by WAMO as a primary destination in the Downtown Tucson Historic Warehouse Arts District and is located along the route of the First Saturday Art Walk and the twice-annual Open Studio Tour. Location: 101 W Sixth Street at 9th Avenue.
· WAMO will confer its 501c3 status to the new collective; offering supervision and fiscal sponsorship so that the new, cooperatively run exhibition space may operate as a non-profit.
· WAMO will partially subsidize the program by offering below-retail rents to the new, cooperatively run exhibition space.
· WAMO committee member, Miles Conrad (the Founding Director of Conrad Wilde Gallery), will mentor the new, cooperatively run exhibition space for 4-6 months from inception.
The new, cooperatively run exhibition space will operate its programs independent of WAMO through establishing its own name, mission, bylaws, and membership. The space will be operated by and for participating member artists aligning its leadership practices with principles of cooperative organization.
The 800+ SF gallery serves as the cornerstone of the beautifully restored Historic Steinfeld Warehouse with original brick, wooden floors and support beams. The space has a reinforced foundation, new roof, pristine white walls, updated electrical, heating, evaporative cooling, an ample storage mezzanine, a kitchenette, and ADA compliant restroom.
We are seeking 10 to 12 or more professional-caliber member artists. Depending on the number of participants, monthly dues may range between $75 and $100/mo. Once established, with sales commissions set by the collective monthly rates could go lower if successful.
Gallery hours will be set Wednesday to Saturday 12:00pm to 5:00pm as a minimum, but may be expanded depending on participating artists. Staffing will be rotated among members. Moonlite Creations Gallery also in the Steinfeld Warehouse is open these same hours.
The gallery will be open for the First Saturday Art Walk, the twice-annual Open Studio Tour, along with occasional building-wide events and regular gallery hours. Rotating exhibitions might include Solo, Duo, Trio, and Group Exhibitions. Other events might include performance, readings, acoustic music, poetry, classes, or other programs. Program decisions and initiatives will be set by member-artists.
Apply by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and
· Letter of Intent: Describe how you would contribute to a new, cooperatively run exhibition space. Include any relevant skills you have in exhibition management, marketing, grant-writing, business administration, or other skills useful in running an exhibition program.
· Artist Resume
· Artist Statement
· Work Sample: Create a PDF formatted document that compiles 10 images along with image descriptions to include: Title, Year, Materials, Dimensions, and Price. Entire document to be compressed to under 16 MB.
· Please estimate the number of names you have on your own, private mailing or emailing list that you would contribute to the new database for marketing and promotional purposes.
· By submitting an application, applicants affirm that they are willing to submit to a background check.
Deadlines for submissions:
March 24: to be considered to join in April and exhibit work in April 6 show /1st Sat Art Walk.
April 14: to be considered to join in May & exhibit work in May 4th show/ 1st Sat Art Walk
Once applications are received and reviewed, Gallery members will host a meeting with interested artists where artists will be asked to bring a few of their artworks to show in person Artists not selected in one particular round are still in the running in the next rounds.